Ask any successful business person, and they will tell you that running a business is not easy. With multiple employees, projects, tasks, clients, and deadlines to take care of each day, balancing all these factors can be quite a challenge. No wonder, the success of a business largely depends on how well it can track and organize its internal practices. This is why investing in a good project management software has become absolutely essential for a business to stay competitive in today’s market. Such software help companies stay organized, productive, and efficient, allowing them to maximize their profits. No surprise then that 77% of all high-performing projects use some kind of project management software.
However, with so many options available in the market, choosing the right one to meet your specific needs can be confusing. In this article, we will discuss tips and offer guidance on how to select the right project management software. We will also touch upon the key factors to consider when evaluating different options and highlight the best features of our top 5 picks!
How to Choose the Best Project Management Software?
There are three main factors to consider while choosing project management software. First, take a comprehensive look at the features offered such as project tracking, collaboration tools, and reporting capabilities. Make sure these features align with your specific needs. Second, consider what security features it offers in terms of data security and privacy. Finally, evaluate the pricing model - is it affordable and flexible enough to accommodate your budget and business requirements?
Let’s take a more detailed look at these three factors in the context of project management apps.
A software's performance can be summed up in its reliability, speed, and usability. Software that offers you a high uptime and fast response times should be at the top of your list. Further, a software that can integrate seamlessly with your calendar, email, and messaging apps could really help boost your business’ operations.
Another performance indicator to consider is the software's ability to handle large projects and multiple users. Features such as task assignment, document sharing, collaboration, and real-time communication can also contribute to the software's overall performance. Choosing project management software with superior performance can help you ensure your teams work efficiently and effectively.
Project management software is often used to communicate or store sensitive data such as project details, financial information, and intellectual property. That is why it's important to choose software with robust security features to prevent data breaches, hacking attempts, and other security threats. Software that offers encryption, user authentication, and access controls will make sure to keep your data safe and secure. Most popular software available in the market comply with relevant security standards, certifications, and regulations.
Project management software options are available at varying price points, from free versions to enterprise-level solutions. While free or low-cost software may be suitable for smaller organizations with basic needs, larger organizations may require more advanced and customizable solutions that come at a higher price point. It's also important to evaluate pricing models such as subscription-based or one-time payment options to ensure they align with your organization's budget and needs.
Let’s now take a look at our pick of the top 5 project management software:
Notion is a powerful project management app that has become quite a hit with both large and small organizations. One of the key benefits of Notion is its flexibility - it can be used for everything from to-do lists to full project management. Users can create customized pages, databases, and tables to track tasks, projects, and deadlines. Notion also offers seamless collaboration features, allowing team members to work together on projects in real-time. Here are some of its amazing features that make it one of the most popular project management software:
- Table blocks: On Notion, you use table blocks to build pages with. These are highly customizable elements that help you create and assign tasks which can include additional information such as checkboxes, dates, deadlines, text files, contact information, and more. Managers can use such blocks to schedule work and keep track of employee progress.
- Comment section: Every task on Notion includes a ‘Comment’ section which can be used by managers and employees to communicate any instructions or queries.
- To-do list: Users can also create simple to-do lists to break down projects into smaller tasks. This list can be shared with employees who are assigned those tasks.
- Calendar: The software offers a unique shared calendar option which shows all ongoing and scheduled tasks so that employees can stay on top of their work and meet project deadlines.
- Mobile application: Notion’s mobile version is available for both iOS and Android users.
- Security features: Notion's security features are top-notch, ensuring that data remains protected. All data is encrypted both in transit and at rest, and access controls are available so you can restrict content access to specific users.
- Integration: Another notable feature of Notion is its ability to integrate easily with other tools such as Google Drive and Slack, allowing users access to their projects and tasks on the go.
- AI writing assistant: Notion has also recently launched an AI writing assistant that can help you write, brainstorm, edit, and summarize all kinds of content.
Plus- $8 per user, per month
Business- $15 per user, per month
Enterprise- Contact sales
Trello is a popular project management app that uses Kanban-based tools to help users visualize and organize tasks and track progress. One of the key benefits of Trello is its simplicity and ease of use. Users can create boards, lists, and cards to track tasks and collaborate easily with team members. Trello's intuitive interface makes it easy for users to get started quickly and without requiring extensive training or onboarding. Some of its other features include,
- Collaboration: Users on Trello can assign tasks to team members, set due dates, and add comments or attachments to cards.
- Power up: Trello also offers power-up options, which are third-party integrations that add additional functionalities such as time tracking, calendar syncing, and automation.
- Mobile application: You can also use Trello’s mobile app, which allows you access to your boards and tasks remotely.
- Integrations: Trello is integrable with other tools such as Google Drive, Slack, and Jira.
- Security: Trello's security features include two-factor authentication and SSL encryption to protect user data. It also offers access control and automation of user management which can be particularly useful for businesses with large teams where permissions need to be updated routinely.
Standard- $5 per user, per month
Premium- $10 per user, per month
Enterprise- $17.50 per user, per month
With its user-friendly interface and valuable set of features, Asana makes it easy to manage tasks, projects, and deadlines. What makes Asana particularly useful is its ability to track tasks and projects from start to finish. Users can create tasks, assign them to team members, set due dates, and add comments or attachments. Some of its best features include,
- Templates: Asana offers project templates, which can help teams get started quickly with common project types such as marketing campaigns or product launches.
- Milestones: Users can set important checkpoints in a project to better monitor progress.
- Collaboration: Asana's collaboration features are impressive. Users can communicate with team members via comments, direct messages, or email notifications. Asana also offers users the ability to create teams and workspaces, allowing them to collaborate on projects with colleagues both inside and outside of their organization.
- Integrations: Asana offers integration with other tools such as Zapier, Chrome, and SkedPal.
Premium- $10.99 per user, per month
Business- $24.99 per user, per month
Monday is a cloud-based project management platform that allows teams to manage their workflows, projects, and tasks. It is known for its intuitive interface and visually appealing layout, making it easy for users to navigate and collaborate with team members. Here are some its other features,
- Customizability: One of the best features of Monday is its customizability. Users can create their own workflows, boards, and templates to suit their specific needs. This allows teams to tailor Monday to their unique project management requirements and ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- Automation: Monday also offers a range of automation tools that can help streamline workflows. These include email notifications, status changes to a task, assigning due dates, and moving up items that are delayed.
- Integration: Another standout feature of Monday is its easy integration with other tools and services. Users can connect Monday to tools like Slack, Jira, and Dropbox, allowing them to streamline their workflows and collaborate more effectively.
- Security: In terms of security, Monday offers thorough data protection measures to ensure the safety of user data. It follows international data safety standards and boasts CSA, GDPR, HIPAA, and ISO certifications.
Basic- $8 seat/ month
Standard- $10 seat/ month
Pro- $16 seat/ month
Enterprise- Contact sales
Slack is a messaging and collaboration platform that has become an important part of many businesses' project management arsenal. It is designed to simplify communication and increase productivity among teams by providing a centralized location for messaging, file sharing, and project management. Here are some of its most unique features,
- Channels: One of the most useful features of Slack is its ability to create channels, which are essentially chat rooms dedicated to specific projects, teams, or topics. This makes it easy to organize conversations and keeps everyone on the same page.
- Integrations: Slack also integrates with a wide variety of other tools and services, including Google Drive, Trello, Zapier, Salesforce, Google Analytics, and Mailchimp, among many others.
- Customized notifications: Another useful feature of Slack is its ability to send notifications to users based on their preferences. This means that you can choose to receive notifications for specific channels or keywords, ensuring that you stay up-to-date on the things that are most important to you.
Pro- $218 per month
Business Plus- $375.20 per month
Enterprise- Contact sales
6. Other notable project management software mentions:
We hope we’ve made the process of choosing a project management software a little easier for you with this guide!
With the number of options available on the market, it is understandable if you still feel a bit daunted. However, taking the time to focus on available options and ranking them in terms of performance, security features, and pricing should help you narrow down your choices further.
Whether you are a small organization or a big business with hundreds of employees, there is a project management solution out there for everyone. One that fits your needs and elevates your company’s quality of work by leaps and bounds!